In Part 4 of #ChiTownWarrors, Dominique Jordan Turner tells us how her organization, Chicago Scholars, selects and mentors first-generation college students.
Dominique Jordan Turner, President & CEO, Chicago Scholars
Dominique Jordan Turner is currently the President and CEO of Chicago Scholars, an organization whose mission is to uniquely select, train, and mentor academically ambitious students from under-resourced communities to complete college and become the next generation of leaders who will transform their neighborhoods and Chicago. In addition to Chicago Scholars, she had significant leadership roles at the Posse Foundation and the KIPP Foundation. Outside of her educational experience, Dominique began her career as a Management Consultant at Deloitte, where she focused on process reengineering and customer relationship management. Additionally, she was a Peace Corps volunteer in the Republic of Panama. She is also the co-Founder of Black Girls Lead, a supportive network for African American women leading nonprofits in Chicago. She was also appointed by Mayor Rahm Emanuel to serve on the Chicago Board of Education. Dominique recently transitioned from the Chicago Board of Education to serve on the Board of Directors for the Chicago Public Library. She holds a B.A. in Business Administration from Clark Atlanta University and a M.B.A. from Marquette University. LinkedIn | Facebook | Website
Vaughn Bryant, Ambassador
Executive Director, Chicago Literacy Alliance
Vaughn is the Executive Director of the Chicago Literacy Alliance and joins after spending the last four years as the Chief Program Officer for the Chicago Park District, where he was responsible for its largest department, Community Recreation, which focused on the Park District’s core mission of providing high-quality leisure services to Chicago residents and visitors. Vaughn joined the Park District after working on the Violence Prevention Initiative as a Deputy Officer at Chicago Public Schools (CPS). Prior to his work at CPS, he served as a manager in Player Development for the National Football League, worked as a licensed marriage and family therapist, and was a former fourth-round draft choice of the Detroit Lions. Vaughn received a master’s degree from Northwestern University and his undergraduate degree from Stanford University. He is a recent graduate of Leadership Greater Chicago, serves on the National Advisory Board of the Haas Center for Public Service at Stanford University and is on various committees with the Chicago Community Trust. Vaughn is also a board member for the Positive Coaching Alliance – Chicago. LinkedIn | Twitter | Instagram
Sponsor messages donated to Greene Scholars Program by The Ambassadors Circle
Time For Some Action: To donate, learn more and get involved with Chicago Scholars, check them out at www.chicagoscholars.org.
What’s the 411:
- This episode’s Black History Month moment is dedicated to the Bay Area’s very own Black Panther Party who turned 50 this year and a special focus on the women of the organization
- SF will be launching an experiment to give away free money while rents in the Bay fall for fourth consecutive month in a row
- Will suicide nets keep desperate people from jumping off the Golden Gate Bridge?
- In tech news… Residents of Redwood city will be among the first to test out Starship Technologies new robotic take on takeout. Go-go-gadget Jetsons like robotic deliveries being tested in Redwood City
- The earth is the hottest it’s ever been and while not the case in California we’re finally getting some rooftop bars in SF via new hotels! None are Trump hotels right? Well actually..
- Ferris Bueller’s Day Off Movie Clip https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81ZtmBAA_NE
- Speak On It with Dominique Jordan Turner-“Dream Like a 7 Year Old”
- Last Word - Kanye West
Production: Sound Design by Courtney Grace, Production Assistance by Jen Huynh with Hosts Becca, Christianne Harder, LT and j-
360BayArea Intro Music by Courtney Grace with vocals by ElleT
Courtney Grace “Feelin’ Good”
DD Sakora “Outta This World”
SPACE COMMANDER ZERO “Space Stars”
Featured Quick clips:
Mary J Blige “What’s the 411”
Redman “Time 4 sum Aktion”
Wu-Tang Clan “C.R.E.A.M.”
Dakota “Long Hot Summer”
Da Brat “Funkdafied”